Chemical & Biological Engineering is a discipline that integrates chemistry and biology at the molecular level and uses this broad foundation along with engineering fundamentals to study the synthesis of new processes and products. This is the first and only curriculum in Turkey that integrates basic chemical engineering with a set of life sciences and biotechnology courses to follow a global trend in chemical engineering education led by the top universities in the United States.
Chemical and biological engineers transform basic resources into useful products (e.g. pharmaceuticals, plastics, renewable energy, energy storage) exploiting certain chemical and biological processes.
Bachelor of Science in Chemical and Biological Engineering
Candidates can apply via ÖSYM, as an international student, as a transfer student or as a tuition-paying exchange student. Admission requirements for all types of prospective students can be found at the Registrar’s Directorate webpage:
The requirements for incoming exchange students can be found at http://oip.ku.edu.tr.
Students who took the equivalents of certain courses offered in Koç University in other institutions can apply to the respective College or Graduate School at Koç University to transfer those courses.
Opportunities for candidates with IB, French Baccaleurate, Matura and Abitur diplomas on webpage (only in Turkish for the moment):
Koç University exam regulations are given on webpage: https://registrar.ku.edu.tr/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/03/Examinat…
Students need to have a GPA at or above 2.00/4.00 and need to have completed all courses on their curriculum with a passing letter grade in order to graduate.
Graduates should be:
Koç University Chemical and Biological Engineering alumni have a broad education with interdisciplinary emphasis and are pursuing careers in many different sectors in national and international firms:
Chemical Industry: Ak-kim Kimya Sanayi (Türkiye), Green Chemicals (Türkiye), International Flavors and Fragrances (İspanya), IQVIA (Almanya), OPET (Türkiye), PETKIM Petrokimya (Türkiye), TÜPRAŞ (Türkiye), Borusan Holding (Türkiye), Enerjisa (Türkiye), Şişecam (Türkiye)
Pharmaceutical Companies: Abdi İbrahim (Türkiye), Bayer (Türkiye), Merck (Türkiye), Mustafa Nevzat (Türkiye), Novo Nordisk (Türkiye), ONKO Koçsel İlaçları (Türkiye), Pfizer (Türkiye), Roche (Türkiye)
Cosmetics: ARCON Kozmetik (Türkiye), Clinique (Türkiye), Estee Lauder (Türkiye), L’Oreal (Türkiye), MAC Cosmetics (Türkiye)
Food Sector: Anadolu Efes (Türkiye), Coca Cola (Türkiye), Danone (Türkiye)
Consumer Goods: Evyap (Türkiye), Henkel (Türkiye, İsrail), P&G (Türkiye, Çek Cumhuriyeti), Reckitt Benckiser (Türkiye), Unilever (Türkiye)
Information Technology: Apple (ABD), Google (Türkiye)
Consumer Electronics: Arçelik (Türkiye), Vestel (Türkiye)
Finance: Akbank (Türkiye), Bloomberg LP (İngiltere), Deniz Bank (Türkiye), Financial Sciences Corporation (ABD), Odeabank (Türkiye), QNB Finansbank (Türkiye), Yapıkredi (Türkiye)
*Chemical and Biological Engineering alumni have completed PhD degrees or are pursuing PhD programs at:
Berkeley College, University of Pittsburg, Washington State University, Princeton University, Sabancı University.
and Master’s degree programs at:
London School of Economics, University of Sussex, Regent’s University London, IE Business School, Brunel University, University of Edinburg Business School,Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Technische Universität München, ESADE Business & Law School, Technical University of Berlin, Carnegie Mellon University, Galatasaray University, Istanbul Technical University, Sabancı University.
Career Development Center, supports all Koç University students and graduates in career Development and Planning, in preparing graduate education plans, and in professional life decisions. For more information about the Career Development Center, please visit https://career.ku.edu.tr/en/
College of Engineering Graduates:
1. Learn advanced mathematics and natural sciences, and gain the ability to apply this knowledge towards modeling and solution of engineering problems,
2. Gain the ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems,
3. Gain the ability to design a component, process, system, or product to meet desired needs under realistic constraints and conditions, addressing economic, environmental, sustainability, producibility, ethical, social, political, health and security issues
4. Gain the ability to select and use necessary techniques, and modern engineering and information technology tools for engineering applications and practice,
5. Gain the ability to design and conduct experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret data for engineering applications,
6. Gain the ability to function in intra-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary teams,
7. Gain the ability to effectively communicate in Turkish and English by oral, written, and graphical means,
8. Recognize the need for and ability to engage in life-long learning and to reach the most recent information in science and technology
9. Recognize and understand professional and ethical responsibility,
10. Understand project management, risk management, and change management concepts; as well as awareness of the importance of innovation and entrepreneurship for sustainable economic development.
11. Understand impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context, including health, environment, safety and legal issues
12. Gain breadth in fundamentals of chemical and biological engineering with required area courses, and provides depth in an area of specialization through 2 area elective and 6 free elective courses.
13. Gain the ability to apply knowledge of advanced mathematics, including calculus, multi-variable calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics, advanced science and computational methods to problems at the intersection of chemical engineering and molecular biology,
14. Gain strong background in chemistry and biology as well as in knowledge in advanced chemistry topics, including organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry,
15. Gain knowledge of mass and energy conversion, physical and chemical equilibrium thermodynamics, heat, mass and momentum transfer, chemical reaction engineering, separation processes, process dynamics and control related to chemical processes including security and environmental issues.
16. Gain the ability to design and conduct laboratory experiments to model operation of chemical/biotechnological plants related to process control, energy, pharmaceutics, nanomaterials and biomaterials,
17. Gain an understanding of the interrelationship between molecular biology, chemistry and engineering at a fundamental level and how this interrelationship affects today’s technology.